Re: NSF Career Grants Charlie Hathaway 27 Feb 2007 09:30 EST

This seems quite odd to me.  Not sure I understand all the misconceptions
involved.  I think that part of career development should be gaining an
appreciation of the full costs of doing research (i.e. w/indirect) and in
the absence of any strict guideline refusing payment of IDC, the
institution should always request indirect on federal grants as an
ADVOCATE for the young investigator... helping to bring them onto the big
playing field.

Charlie

> I'm looking for a little information about what others do for their
young investigators to support their career grants.  We traditionally
have waived the overhead on the NSF Career grants to show support of
these young investigators.  We recently had a proposal turned down and
one of the review comments was regarding us not budgeting the overhead.
Although I know this is not the reason it got turned down, the
> investigator expressed concern over the negative comment.  With NSF's
change in policy with regards to cost share, we were nervous that we
were putting our grants at risk by not including the overhead.  I know
NSF's intent of the change in cost share policy was to level out he
playing field however, when our faculty talk with their program
> officers, they say it is a very acceptable thing to do and they would
award a project that waived the overhead over one that didn't.  Because
we are changing our policy regarding waiving the overhead, our faculty
are really upset and feel that we are not supporting them.  Would others
be willing to share what things your institutions do for these young
investigators to give them the extra support to get them started?  Does
anyone else waive the overhead?