Re: An open complaint about HHS electronic application processes Young,Elaine M 23 Feb 2007 11:27 EST

Grants.gov was developed in response to a Congressional mandate and is
not the brainchild of NIH or any other single agency.

The Office of Management and Budget issued a Notice related to the
"Grants Streamlining Activities under PL 106-107, Federal Financial
Assistance Management Improvement Act of 1999" - here is the link.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg/preamble2.html

It proposed "a standard format for federal agencies in announcing
discretionary grant and cooperative agreement funding opportunities"

And thus, G.g was born.  I think the main problem stems from each agency
trying to fit it's own requirements into the G.g format and still get
the information they need.

Another example of government simplifying.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Charlie Hathaway
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 11:00 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] An open complaint about HHS electronic
application processes

I do NOT concur.  I disagree that the new system was established to
simplify things.  And I think your complaints about NIH are very
short-sighted.  Improvements in anything are often difficult to deal
with at first.  But NIH has done a very good job.

Focus on other federal agencies without the NIH Commons-type
capabilities, and then I will sign on.

Charlie