Re: Question about intention to "fund down the grant slate" Bill Campbell 01 Feb 2007 09:31 EST

ED has done this at least twice before, so I don't think we should
interpret this year's cancellation of the competition as the death knell
for Title III. On the other hand, previous cancellations have occurred
every fourth year, when (for some reason I don't completely understand)
the funds allocated for new awards suffer a cyclic shrinkage.  This
year's cancellation, if I'm counting correctly, is only three years
since the last one. Besides that, ED has been pumping funds into the
targeted Title III and V competitions (for Hispanic-serving
institutions, HBCUs, American Indian and Pacific Islander serving
schools, etc.) for many years, I suspect at the expense of the
mainstream program.  So maybe the program will disappear.  I hope not,
it's an excellent program for schools that are eligible, one of my
favorites.

Regards, Bill

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research