Re: Indirect costs and TRIO programs Maggie Bryan-Peterson 26 Jan 2007 14:56 EST

Any participant or training costs are also exempted from indirect costs
under not only TRIO programs, but most US Education programs. As such,
they have created an MTDC for everyone.  On our McNair (we've had one
now for more than 10 years), not only are the student stipends and
participant costs exempt, but room and board and equipment also are
exempt.   ;-(

Maggie Bryan-Peterson, CRA
Director
Research and Sponsored Programs
E230 Thompson Hall
SUNY Fredonia
Fredonia, NY  14063
716-673-3528
FAX: 716-673-3802

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Diane Schmitz
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 1:30 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Indirect costs and TRIO programs

Hi all --

I'm about to send our McNair proposal, but a thorny budget question has
come up. We've read guidelines, EDGAR and A-21, and we're waiting for
the program officer's call, but maybe y'all can help . . .

We can't charge indirects on student stipends. The guidelines are clear
and the budget form has a line for stipends. Clear enough. But what
about student room and board for summer research? In the last
competition, guidelines were clear that indirects were not allowed, and
a special "Other" catagory was used. This time, guidelines are less
clear. So, where do I put student room & board? And can I charge
indirects on it?

I especially appreciate input from those who've grappled with the same
issue recently.

--
Diane M. Schmitz
Assistant Director, Pre-Award Administration Office of Grant & Research

http://www.ewu.edu/grants