Re: grants.gov submission to Dept. of Ed. McWhorter,Sharon 18 Jan 2007 15:15 EST

Melissa:

Unfortunately, not all agencies are as prepared for grants.gov as NIH
and NSF! We have found with other agencies that it's often not easy to
tease out where important and required information is to go. In response
to your questions:

1. You do not necessarily need to attach anything here - only if the
guidelines specifically instruct you to do so. The 424 is a standard
form used by many agencies and therefore everything will not apply to
all solicitations.

2) There are instructions on what to upload where on Pages 45-47 of the
NIDRR guidelines that you can download from grants.gov AND on pages
37-39!  A number of items are to be uploaded into the "Other Narrative
Attachments" form. However, there is no such form in this package. We
would add the narrative pieces that fall within the 50 page limit into
the "Project Narrative" and the other, which you are instructed to put
in the "Other Narrative Attachments form", into the "Other Attachments
form" - bibliography, vitae, letters of support.

3) Table of contents - The guidelines don't say where to put this but I
would put it at the front of the "Other Attachments" file or within the
"Project Narrative form" as an "Optional Project Narrative" file (name
the file "Table of contents") or, if putting it at the front of the
narrative won't put you over the 50-page limit, it could also go there.
One thing to consider is the order in which these forms and attachments
will print out.

4) The human subjects explanation would be an attachment to item 3 on
the ED 424 supplemental form and would not be included in the narrative.

On page 13 of the guidelines - in the last paragraph before #3, it says
"Each application must include a cover sheet (Standard Form 424); budget
requirements (ED Form 524) and narrative justification; other required
forms; an abstract, Human Subjects narrative, Part III narrative;
resumes of staff; and other related materials, if applicable."  So the
human subjects explanation is not included in the Part III narrative.

I think Dept. of Ed. announcements are the most confusing! Good luck!

Sharon
Sharon McWhorter
Interim Director
Research Services and Sponsored Programs
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-2102