Re: Institutional Nominations Mortali, Jill M. 17 Jan 2007 13:52 EST

 http://www.hms.harvard.edu/fa/facfel.html

Harvard Medical School has a process whereby all of the invitationals are compiled in a directory and a committee makes selections one or two times a year.  The process is described at the link above.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Johnson, Landy (Director of Grant Development)
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:59 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Institutional Nominations

The only times I've encountered institutional nominations were for CASE/Carnegie Professor of the Year Awards and for NEH Summer Stipends.  For Professor of the Year, the Dean of the College (we are a PUI) selected three individuals and authorized me to invite them to apply (and then I handled the entire application process in the Dean's name; there were two applicants and one was a winner for our state).

For NEH, the summer stipend program allows two nominations.  I held a brief competition in which prospective applicants sent me a brief CV and a two-page narrative.  These were evaluated using a rubric I created and each person was given a score.  The Dean of the College also read the materials.  When I reported my scoring results to her, she said the two top scorers were exactly the people she thought were the best candidates, so those two were nominated.  Though I report to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, he was not involved in either of these processes.

Landy

P.S. Many thanks to those who provided advice regarding the CUR Dialogues conference in March.  I have signed up to go.

Landy C. Johnson, MPA, Ph.D.
Director of Grant Development
Assumption College, Alumni Hall 024
500 Salisbury St.