Re: declined proposals Witt, Carolyn 11 Jan 2007 15:21 EST

Our practice is to retain for one additional fiscal year beyond the year submitted.  Prior to shredding, we send standard email to the respective PIs notifying them of our intent to destroy, offering them the opportunity to retrieve from our office if desired.

Additionally, the staff does a quick review of those proposals slated for destruction to determine if there are any that should be retained for "special" circumstances.  Since each of the staff serves as the Primary-Point-of-Contact for a specific group of faculty, they are usually aware of the "special" proposals that merit saving.

Carolyn W. Witt, MEd, MBA
Director of Grants and Contracts
Van Andel Institute
333 Bostwick Ave., NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Phone:  (616) 234-5542
Fax:       (616) 234-5543
E-mail:  xxxxxx@vai.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Sharon Lauray
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:10 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] declined proposals

Our pre-award office keeps the declined proposals for 3 years.  The PI
keeps their own copy which they have before it is submitted to our
office.

>>> Pamela Miller <xxxxxx@USFCA.EDU> 01/11/07 1:52 PM >>>
Of course 99.9% of our proposals are funded, but we do have a few that
get
turned down. I am interested in finding out how others in pre-award
offices
handle declined proposals.  Do you keep them in your files for a
certain
period of time-if so how long? Do you return them to the PI, or just
shred
them?

Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
The University of San Francisco
2130 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
TEL  415-422-5368
FAX 415-422-6222
EMAIL xxxxxx@usfca.edu

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s) please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.