Re: Supplemental Pay for Faculty Susan Greene 03 Jan 2007 13:25 EST

MUSC doesn't allow it per A-21.
Susan

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Karen Henry
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:28 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Supplemental Pay for Faculty

Supplemental pay is a problem for us too and we are in the process of
revising our supplemental pay policy.

Some of the issues that we are still considering are as follows.  I'd
love to hear how others are handling these issues.

1.  Do you allow supplemental pay for faculty and staff or just
faculty?

2.  How much supplemental pay do you consider reasonable? 20% extra?

3.  Do you allow supplemental pay for faculty during off-contract
period?  Example, Professor Smith is a 9-month employee but has 3 months
of summer support from various sponsored projects.  Do you allow him to
earn 100% from sponsored research during the summer and to teach summer
school?

4.  Do you allow faculty to earn supplemental compensation in excess of
their base rate if the sponsor is non-federal?

5.  How do you interpret A-21 section J.10 d 1?  We have heard that
some institutions are not allowing supplemental pay on sponsored
projects at all.  How do you define "separate or remote operation".  We
have many US Dept. of Ed grants where faculty are performing work at the
K-12 public schools.  Would you consider that separate or remote?

We'd welcome your thoughts and ideas too. Thanks,

Karen Henry, Director
Office of Research Administration
Boise State University
1910 University Drive
Boise, ID 83725-1135
(208) 426-1571
(208) 426-1048
xxxxxx@boisestate.edu

>>> "Rosales, Laura" <xxxxxx@TAMUCC.EDU> 1/3/2007 9:28 AM >>>
At our institution, we have been dealing with an issue regarding
supplemental pay for faculty members.

According to OMB Circular A-21, Section J 10, A and D1, it discusses
faculty consultation on sponsored agreements and that supplemental
compensation is allowed with some restrictions mentioned in section
D1.

Are there any other regulations out there that we should consult with
regarding supplemental pay?

The issue of supplemental pay has become a big issue where we've had a
number of faculty asking for supplemental pay for work on sponsored
programs that is above their jobs-sometimes over 100%. But, if not
paid,
they will not perform this work.

We have a policy that says that if a faculty member is at 100% effort
already and is awarded a sponsored project during the semester, the
policy allows for a faculty to be paid up to 20% above their 100%
workload temporarily until the semester is over and their schedule can
be revised for the following semester to allow for release time for
the
sponsored project. But, that is all. We get all other kinds of
scenarios
where faculty are turning in supplemental pay forms for work they are
doing while sometimes teaching a full load.

What kind of examples have you had? What kind of policies have you
initiated in this area?

Is it a problem for ya'll?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give us!

Laura Leal Rosales, CRA

Sr. Grants & Contract Admininstrator

Office of Graduate Studies & Research

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi