Re: Scanning Documents for NIH Submissions Jean M. Murphy 02 Jan 2007 13:37 EST

Dear Anne,
 With documents that contain signatures, there is no way to send them as
attachments unless you scan them.  We have submitted many proposals to NIH
with scanned documents for just this reason and have had no problems
regarding acceptance of our submission.  Just try to keep the scanned
documents to the absolute minimum as they do make the package larger.
Jean

Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org> on Tuesday,
January 02, 2007 at 1:19 PM -0500 wrote:
>I am working on a NIH submission via grants.gov.  The SF424 states the
>following:
>
>"It is recommended that, as much as possible, applicants avoid scanning
>text documents to produce the required PDFs. Instead, NIH recommends
>producing the documents electronically using text or word-processing
>software and then converting documents to PDF. Scanning paper documents,
>without the proper Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process, will
>hamper automated processing of your application for NIH analysis and
>reporting."
>
>Unfortunately, the documents I need to scan contain signatures which are
>lost unless I scan directly into a PDF.  Has anyone encountered this
>problem, and if so do you have any suggestions?
>
>Thanks for your assistance.
>
>Anne Braden

Jean M. Murphy
Director of Pre-Award Services
Wellesley Centers for Women
http://www.wcwonline.org
E-mail:  xxxxxx@wellesley.edu      Phone:  781-283-2508     Fax:
781-283-2504

Wellesley College, Cheever House, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA  02481