Re: Scanning Documents for NIH Submissions Cotten, Melinda 02 Jan 2007 13:36 EST

We have scanned reference letters and other supporting documents that
contain signatures and it has worked fine.  I believe that the NIH is
fine with this approach but the main thing is that they do not want
scanned images or text documents that are part of the research plan as
the scans may not always transmit well and the font sizes may be less
than the limits.

Sincerely,
Melinda Cotten
Director, Grants and Contracts Management
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Phone (615) 322-2281

This document may contain PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL information and is
intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to which it is
addressed. If you are not an intended recipient of this document, you
are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying
of this document or the information contained in it or attached to it is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this document in error, please
discard it and immediately notify the person named above by e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Anne Blankenship
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 12:19 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Scanning Documents for NIH Submissions

I am working on a NIH submission via grants.gov.  The SF424 states the
following:

"It is recommended that, as much as possible, applicants avoid scanning
text documents to produce the required PDFs. Instead, NIH recommends
producing the documents electronically using text or word-processing
software and then converting documents to PDF. Scanning paper documents,
without the proper Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process, will
hamper automated processing of your application for NIH analysis and
reporting."

Unfortunately, the documents I need to scan contain signatures which are
lost unless I scan directly into a PDF.  Has anyone encountered this
problem, and if so do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your assistance.

Anne Braden

--
Anne Blankenship Braden