Re: Scanning Documents for NIH Submissions Karen Scheboth 02 Jan 2007 13:35 EST

I have changed all of my non-signature documents to pdf using the proper
OCR process but the letters of intent with signatures I scanned using
our machine so they still have the signature.

Karen A. Scheboth, MS, CRA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
CureSearch, National Childhood Cancer Foundation -
440 E.Huntington Drive, Suite 402
Arcadia, CA  91066-6012
Phone      (626) 241-1681
Facsimile (626) 447-6359
xxxxxx@CureSearch.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Anne Blankenship
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 10:19 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Scanning Documents for NIH Submissions

I am working on a NIH submission via grants.gov.  The SF424 states the
following:

"It is recommended that, as much as possible, applicants avoid scanning
text documents to produce the required PDFs. Instead, NIH recommends
producing the documents electronically using text or word-processing
software and then converting documents to PDF. Scanning paper documents,

without the proper Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process, will
hamper automated processing of your application for NIH analysis and
reporting."

Unfortunately, the documents I need to scan contain signatures which are

lost unless I scan directly into a PDF.  Has anyone encountered this
problem, and if so do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your assistance.

Anne Braden

--
Anne Blankenship Braden