Re: COS vs. InfoEd/SPIN Charlie Hathaway 19 Dec 2006 21:07 EST

Hmmmm...."free".  To Grants.net one could add Google.

I just did a Google search for <diabetes grants foundation> and quickly
came up with quite a few of the major and not-so-major funders.  Sure, I'm
not getting someone's comprehensive, albeit second hand, summary of the
grant programs. But most places have web sites (where you get the first
hand info) and it doesn't take much to find those sites if one knows the
organization's name.

Perhaps the question is whether one's faculty needs the encyclopedic
esoterica offered by the big search tools.  Most people know the big
funders for their fields (federal, public charity, professional
association).  I'm sure there are cases where SPIN/COS/IRIS have uncovered
the perfect heretofore unrecognized answer to a funding dilemma.  But all
too often they simply facilitate hopeless unsolicited appeals to small
foundations.

Will I dump our SPIN subscription?  Nope.  Has it led to anyone at my
institution getting a grant?  I don't know.

Charlie

> Please allow me to put in a plug for GrantsNet (www.grantsnet.org).
Currently GrantsNet  includes mainly private--not federal--programs. But
that should be changing soon--stay tuned.

> GrantsNet is--and will continue to be--free.
>
> Jim Austin
>
> Jim Austin, Ph.D.
> Editor
> ScienceCareers.org
> http://www.sciencecareers.org
> Tel: 207.712.5445
> Fax: 206.203.2523
> Email: xxxxxx@aaas.org

> We did a trial run with both, and found Community of Science far broader
> in scope. We decided that for the difference in price, we got a lot more.
>

> Linda Mason
>
> Grant tip: Every program and research grant will be enhanced by the use
> of high quality technology for planning and information dissemination.
Remember that OneNet's statewide linkage is unique in the nation.

Behalf Of Megan Delaney
> Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:16 PM
> To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
> Subject: [RESADM-L] COS vs. InfoEd/SPIN
>
> Our office currently uses InfoEd/SPIN to do funding searches for our
faculty/staff. We are currently doing a trial run with Community of
Science; comparing and contrasting the two sites.

> Any feedback, thoughts, pros/cons, comparisons, preferences about
InfoEd/SPIN and Community of Science (COS) would be greatly