Re: Airfare Ticket Change Fees - Allowable? Documentation? Candela Rivera, Antoinette 11 Dec 2006 13:16 EST

The required back up we request when our out sourced travel agent is not used
are:  Boarding passes and credit card statements showing the airfare charges.
This usually is enough documentation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org]On Behalf
Of Linda Ward
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 12:47 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Airfare Ticket Change Fees - Allowable?
Documentation?

Hello all -

I have a PCard (corporate credit (purchasing) card) detail on my desk
with a $100 change fee for airfare.  The PI approved all the charges on
the bill.

We've been audited before (A-133 & Federal), and our auditors have been
rather picky.  Based on my experience, I need some justification as to
why the airfare was changed, as well as a receipt of some sort.

Ordinarily all airfare related expenses go through our out-sourced
travel agent.  They provide some detail in their reports to us, as to
what airfare was changed, and what the new airfare is.  Had the employee
gone through our travel agent (the airfare was originally booked through
our travel agent), I may not have questioned it.  However, now I don't
have a handy report to point to as the "receipt" for this charge.

Please advise, what do you require for this to be an allowable expense
on a federal award?  When an auditor requires backup for the expense,
what do you give them?

Thanks!!

Linda Ward
Grant Accounting Supervisor
Research Administration  35-123A
Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
2910 Centre Pointe Dr.
Roseville, MN 55113
651-855-2603
651-855-2690 Fax
email: xxxxxx@childrensmn.org

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential
and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of
this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her
agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you
have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and deleting this email or
destroying this facsimile immediately.