Re: PI review of circulars Elizabeth C. Lieberman 27 Oct 2006 10:23 EST

In Linda's posting (below), either there's a remarkably amusing typo in
the auditors' reference to the PI (
>Their recommendation is "The private investigator should monitor grant
>expenditures for allowability under OMB Circular A-21 as the expendtures
>are incurred.
) or the auditors are indeed remarkably naive and new to the A-133 game,
as someone earlier mentioned.  In either case, I had a nice chuckle from
the reference to private investigator.

Liz
****************************
Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org> on Friday,
October 27, 2006 at 10:27 AM -0500 wrote:
>We are not sure ourselves that what they mean by "formally". I made a
>comment to them that it seemed unreasonable that to me that they actually
>think that before an expenditure would be charged to a grant, that any PI
>would pull out the A-21 and look at it and think "yes, this is
>allowable".
>Maybe I'm way off in my thinking and they do at other universities? She
>acknowledged that all 4 tests (reasonableness, allowability, allocability
>and consistency) of A-21 were met. Their wording of the management
>comment
>is ".....all expenditures were allowable under Circular A-21 resulting in
>no questioned costs. However, controls as outlined in OMB Circular A-133
>were not in place to ensure compliance". Their recommendation is "The
>private investigator should monitor grant expenditures for allowability
>under OMB Circular A-21 as the expendtures are incurred. PI's reveiw of
>expenditures for allowability under Circular A-21 should be monitored by
>the University to ensure compliance is met."

Liz Lieberman
Director, Office of Sponsored Research
Assistant Dean of the College
Wellesley College
106 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02481-8203
Phone: (781) 283-3587;  Fax: (781) 283-3695
E-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu