Re: NIH Project Narratives and Bibliography Cox, Brenda 26 Oct 2006 14:47 EST

Yes.  You name the time and the place.
Brenda

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Susan Greene
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 2:59 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] NIH Project Narratives and Bibliography

Charlie,
I believe we should trust the topic sentences.
At MUSC, we had an application receive an ERROR because the project
narrative was too long (more than a few sentences).  It was edited, then

went through.
Susan

Charlie Hathaway wrote:
> Re: Abstract vs Narrative discussion last week (sort of)
>
> Bibliography & References Cited attachments in an NIH proposal.
>
> NIH Gg Guide V2, Part I, Section 4.4.8 says, "Provide a bibliography
of any references cited in the Project Narrative".

> I just came kinda close to submitting a proposal with references stuck
in the appendix because the administrative person preparing the PureEdge
file knew that there were no references cited in the 2-3 sentences about
relevance.   !!!!

> I know, if you read everything you will see, 2 paragraphs down, next
to the NIH icon, that it explains that this section is to be used (as
most have assumed) for the former "Literature Cited" section.  Still,
should we be able to trust topic sentences?

> [Also...I'm not sure if this was brought out last week : there have
been cases (i.e. Shared Instrumentation Grants) in which the "Project
Narrative" section in an NIH electronic proposal WAS used for the full
project write-up.]

> C. Hathaway

Susan A. Greene, CRA, Grants & Contracts Administrator,
Medical University of South Carolina, Research & Sponsored Programs,
19 Hagood Ave., Suite 606 (express), Mailbox 250808 (U.S. Postal),
Charleston, SC  29425-0808 (express, use, 29425), PH:  843-792-2040, FX:

 843-792-6447