Re: NIH grant transfer Susan Greene 23 Oct 2006 12:59 EST

Adding to Amy's comments.  The Payment Management System sends a payment
letter to your accountig office authorizing them to draw down the
carryover funds and explains the reason the additional funds are made
available.  Susan

Amy L. Taylor wrote:

> The initial transfer application only involves an estimate of the funds
> available.  When University A files the final FSR for it's side of the
> grant, it will note if there are any more carry-over funds or if there
> were less available funds then expected for the initial transfer.  NIH
> will then notify University B that additional funds are allocated on the
> grant.  In my experience, this final step is sometimes 6-10 months AFTER
> the initial, offical transfer award notice from NIH to university B.
>

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Pamela Miller wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:02:49 -0700
>> From: Pamela Miller <xxxxxx@USFCA.EDU>
>> To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
>> Subject: [RESADM-L] NIH grant transfer
>>
>> PI from University A transfers to University B midway thru a four year
>> NIH
>> grant.
>>

>> University A relinquishes the remainder of grant funds, and University B
>> submits paperwork to complete the transfer of Year 3 and 4 funding.
>>

>> Per NIH staff instructions, University B's paperwork does not include any
>> mention of carryover funds from Years 1 and 2 at University A.
>>

>> The transfer of Year 3 funds has just been completed on the DPM PSC.
>>

>> How does University B access the carryover funds? NIH staff say the
>> only way
>> for the funds to be transferred is via the FSR.
>>

>> Can someone make this process more clear to me?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
>> Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
>> The University of San Francisco
>> 2130 Fulton Street
>> San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
>> TEL  415-422-5368
>> FAX 415-422-6222
>> EMAIL xxxxxx@usfca.edu

> Amy L. Taylor
> Grants Manager
> Department of Genome Sciences
> University of Washington
> 1705 NE Pacific Street,  K-353B
> Seattle, WA  98195-7730
> Office: 206-616-7823
> Fax: 206-685-7301

Susan A. Greene, CRA, Grants & Contracts Administrator,
Medical University of South Carolina, Research & Sponsored Programs,
19 Hagood Ave., Suite 606 (express), Mailbox 250808 (U.S. Postal),
Charleston, SC  29425-0808 (express, use, 29425), PH:  843-792-2040, FX:
 843-792-6447