Re: NIH grant transfer Amy L. Taylor 23 Oct 2006 12:15 EST

The initial transfer application only involves an estimate of the funds available.  When University A files the final FSR for it's side of the grant, it will note if there are any more carry-over funds or if there were less available funds then expected for the initial transfer.  NIH will then notify University B that additional funds are allocated on the grant.  In my experience, this final step is sometimes 6-10 months AFTER the initial, offical transfer award notice from NIH to university B.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Pamela Miller wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:02:49 -0700
> From: Pamela Miller <xxxxxx@USFCA.EDU>
> To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
> Subject: [RESADM-L] NIH grant transfer
>
> PI from University A transfers to University B midway thru a four year NIH
> grant.
>

> University A relinquishes the remainder of grant funds, and University B
> submits paperwork to complete the transfer of Year 3 and 4 funding.
>

> Per NIH staff instructions, University B's paperwork does not include any
> mention of carryover funds from Years 1 and 2 at University A.
>

> The transfer of Year 3 funds has just been completed on the DPM PSC.
>

> How does University B access the carryover funds? NIH staff say the only way
> for the funds to be transferred is via the FSR.
>

> Can someone make this process more clear to me?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
> Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
> The University of San Francisco