Re: NYTIMES mag piece on research misconduct Susan Greene 23 Oct 2006 10:00 EST

It also might cause one to take the time to read exit interviews of
staff if applicable to your institution.  SG

Charlie Hathaway wrote:

> Yes, well worth the read.  Blessed are the non-meek technicians.
>
> I found the following particularly interesting:
>
> "Some scientists believe that his ability to beat the system for so long
> had as much to do with the research topics he chose as with his
> aggressive tactics. His work was prominent, but none of his studies
> broke new scientific ground. (This may also be why no other scientists
> working in the field have retracted papers as a result of Poehlman’s
> fraud.) By testing undisputed assumptions on popular topics, Poehlman
> attracted enough attention to maintain his status but not enough to
> invite suspicion. Moreover, replicating his longitudinal data would be
> expensive and difficult to do."
>
> Important to remember that negative results, particularly those
> questioning our sacred cows, may hold subtleties that can lead to great
> things.
>
> "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
> new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I've found it!), but 'That's
> funny...'"   --Isaac Asimov
>

> CH
>

> At 10:15 AM 10/23/2006, you wrote:
>
>> interesting backstory how eric poehlman was caught and what the
>> university did to investigate. yesterday's new york times sunday
>> magazine.

>> (click on "Listserv Lists")

Susan A. Greene, CRA, Grants & Contracts Administrator,
Medical University of South Carolina, Research & Sponsored Programs,
19 Hagood Ave., Suite 606 (express), Mailbox 250808 (U.S. Postal),
Charleston, SC  29425-0808 (express, use, 29425), PH:  843-792-2040, FX:
 843-792-6447