Re: Signature authority Chaffins, Gary 13 Oct 2006 11:18 EST

Ruth;

In Oregon we have a bit of a convoluted process since the State
regulations in this area do not really address the nuances of authority
to submit grant applications and contract offers (as with many other
States, I'm sure).  We base the Research Office's request for signature
authority on the most closely related process and make our requests for
signature authority delegation through the Vice President for Research
to the Vice President for Finance and Administration.

Here is the Oregon Administrative Rule we follow:

571-040-0240
Designation of Purchasing Agents and Contract Officers

(1) The unit administrator shall designate staff authorized to enter
into purchasing agreements for the University. Such authorized
personnel, referred to as purchasing agents, shall be the only
individuals who may procure supplies, equipment, or
non-personal/professional services, and are authorized to enter into
purchase orders and related purchasing documents. The unit administrator
and the Business Affairs Office shall maintain a list, either by name or
by title, of those designated, along with a description of the types and
amounts of procurement they are authorized to enter into. The unit
administrator shall inform the Business Affairs Office either by name or
by title, those no longer authorized to be purchasing agents or of any
changes in the types and amounts of procurement they are authorized to
enter into.

(2) The Vice President of Administration shall designate staff
authorized to enter into formal agreements or contracts. Such authorized
personnel, shall be referred to as contracting officers or their
designees. The Vice President for Administration shall keep a list, by
name, of those designated, and the types and amounts of agreements and
contracts they are authorized to enter into.

(3) Purchasing and contracting agreements entered into by individuals
not designated as authorized personnel shall be void. Purchasing agents
only have authority as addressed in section (1) of this rule, unless
they have been specifically authorized as a contracting officer or the
authorized designee of a contracting officer, and then only for the
specific types and amounts listed. All formal agreements and contracts
must be reviewed and signed, prior to commencement of the formal
contract or agreement, only by an authorized contracting officer, or
their authorized designee.

(4) Authorized personnel as set forth in section (1) and (2) shall be
responsible for ensuring that the proper procedures, as detailed in OAR
571-040-0243 to 571-040-0390, are followed for all institutional
procurements. The University may take appropriate action in response to
expenditures or actions authorized contrary to OAR 571-040-0243 to
571-040-0390. Such actions include, but are not limited to, providing
educational guidance, imposing disciplinary measures, and/or holding
individuals personally liable for such expenditures.

Here is a list from our Web site that identifies the personnel in this
office authorized to submit applications (both for grants and contracts)
execute incoming award documents and sub agreements from awarded grants
and contracts.  We do not have authority for any other type of
procurement actions other than sub agreements.   Our web site info is
located at:

http://orsa.uoregon.edu/index.cfm?topLevCat=proposals&page=Proposals_ins
titutional_info

Name of the authorizing institutional official:
Gary L. Chaffins, Director
Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5219
(541) 346-5131
FAX: (541) 346-5138
E-mail: xxxxxx@orsa.uoregon.edu

Name of the administrative official to be notified of an award:
Lin Reilly, Assistant Director - Contracting
Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5219
(541) 346-5131
FAX: (541) 346-5138
E-mail: xxxxxx@orsa.uoregon.edu

Other staff approved to sign for the Authorizing Institutional Official
on proposals, awards and contracts:

 * Tammie Bain, Associate Director, Proposal Management
 * Kent Hardin - Associate Director, Award Management
 * Lin Reilly, Assistant Director for Contracting
 * Aedra Reynolds - Senior Sponsored Projects Administrator
 * Dawn Wagner, Sponsored Projects Administrator
 * Timothy B. Godsil, Assistant Director for Grant Fiscal Management