Re: Data and Tissue Ownership Dana Bostrom 12 Oct 2006 15:47 EST

One of the difficulties is in the definition of "data" in various official
federal documents.  Kate Phillips (former COGR Director) and Clark Shores
(asst attorney general for Washington) have spoken on this. . One may not
always have the rights one thinks . . .

Some of their presentations are here:
http://depts.washington.edu/ventures/About_Us/Presentations/#Data_Rights

-- Dana

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Elsa Nadler
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:58 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Data and Tissue Ownership

Generally, if the data was obtained under a grant that was made to the
institution, the institution owns all data and tissue. If the data or tissue
was collected under an NIH or DHHS award, the terms of the award should say
that the grantee institution owns the data. Data (and hence
tissue) can be transferred to another entity under agreement among all
parties (original institution, new institution and NIH). Other facets of the
agreement, such as who can use the tissue and under what circumstances, are
subject to agreement. It would be difficult (in my
estimation) to establish a global policy that would govern all such
transfers.

Please see Scientific Integrity by Francis Macrina, pp 213-215.

Elsa

Elsa G. Nadler, EdD
Grants Manager
Department of Community Medicine
1 Medical Center Drive
PO Box 9190
West Virginia University
Morgantown, WV 26506-9190

Tel: 304/293-3546
Fax: 304/293-6685

>>> Dana Bostrom <xxxxxx@BERKELEY.EDU> 10/12/2006 3:08 PM >>>
Not many institutions have data ownership policies.

I believe an agreement is a good idea.  It would be nice if the originating
institution would have a "shop right" to use the data in the future, but not
clear to me that broader rights would be authorized, absent a data policy
which identifies responsibilities & rights.

It's something worth pondering. . who is the "steward" of the data?
The PI,
the research team, the institution?  Who has the responsibility to guard
against mis-use, and can authorize others to access/build upon/etc the data?
As data becomes more important outside research, I suspect we'll see more
pressure inside academic institutions to clarify our policies.

Dana

Dana Bostrom, Associate Director
Industry Alliances Office, IPIRA
University of California, Berkeley