Re: Compliance to IRB Ruth B Smith 12 Oct 2006 07:59 EST

I agree completely with what Tracy said.  The academic hierarchy should be
made aware not just for early warning about potential IRB action but also
for the example the faculty member is setting.  The faculty member is
teaching and showing his or her students how to be researchers and faculty
members themselves.  If the students learn compliance policies and
regulations are "little rules" to be flouted, there could be serious
consequences for those individuals and their institutions in future.

Ruth

 Tracy Arwood
 <xxxxxx@CLEMSON.
 Sent by: Research         xxxxxx@hrinet.org
 Administration                                             cc
 List
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.                                     Subject
 org>                      Re: [RESADM-L] Compliance to IRB

 10/12/2006 07:58
 AM

 Please respond to
 Research
 Administration
 Discussion List
 <xxxxxx@hrinet.
 org>

Dave,
I do not think there is a simple answer to your question.  The answer
depends on how your institutional policy is written.  Does your IRB
cover only projects that meet the definition of human subjects
research in the regulations?  or does your university expand on that
definition to cover a broader range of projects?  Perhaps, some of
these projects are not "generalizable" and therefore may not meet the
strict interpretation of the regulations?  If you feel strongly that
these projects should be reviewed by the IRB and that a faculty
member is purposely ignoring the mandate to do so, I would recommend
convening your IRB to investigate and discuss the noncompliance and
determine what corrective actions would be appropriate.  Involving
your IO and Provost at this stage would be helpful so they are not
blind sided when the IRB makes its determination.  I have been
involved with a similar situation and would be happy to talk to you
off-line if you'd like.
Good luck,
Tracy

At 07:24 PM 10/11/2006, you wrote:
>Hello everyone - I hope this is a simple question.  What does your
>university do if professors do not require their students to pass their
>human subjects research projects (undergraduate and graduate) through the
>IRB?  I am interested in the cases where the faculty member knows that the
>projects should go through IRB but tells the students that they do not
need
>to do so.
>
>Thanks for your input.
>
>Cheers,
>Dave
>

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Dr. David L. McGinnis
>Co-Director, Grants and Sponsored Programs
>Montana State University-Billings
>1500 University Avenue
>Billings, MT 59101
>email: xxxxxx@msubillings.edu