Re: Faculty Mentoring Program - Research and Proposal Development Charlie Hathaway 09 Oct 2006 22:22 EST

Successful research career development requires good mentoring.  But most
good mentoring does not come out of formal mentoring programs.
This reminds me of those 7th grade dances where many of us were inside an
auditorium, staring across the floor at a gaggle of the opposite sex,
preparing to be paired off when the next song began.  And outside were our
more talented peers, in cars and on the lawn, already engaged in high
level feats of adolescent development.  The real problem with this analogy
is that unlike romance, there isn't enough research funding to go around.
And the most competitive players, don't wait for someone to organize the
process.

Charlie