Re: OBM circulars A-76 versus A-133 Hawk, Patricia 09 Oct 2006 10:20 EST

I have always thought the purpose of OMB Circular A-76 was to establish
Federal policies and procedures for competition of commercial
activities performed by the Federal government.  If you remember a few
years ago, NIH went through the "A-76 process" for "competing" their
grant management functions.

I never thought of it as cost principles, but rather the guidelines a
Federal agency and competing commercial firms must follow in order to
determine if these commercial activities could be performed by the
private sector in a contract or fee-for-service arrangement.

Pat

Patricia A. Hawk
Assistant Director
Office of Sponsored Programs