Re: Supplemental vs. New Funding Hughes, Audree S. 27 Sep 2006 14:09 EST

If the agency issues an amendment under the same agency award number,
then its considered a "follow-on" or "renewal" for the next year.

If the agency issues a new award with a new/different agency award
number, then its treated as a new award on our books.

Audree S. Hughes
Sponsored Programs Manager
Eastern Virginia Medical School
757.446.6026

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Patty Kingsmill
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:25 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Supplemental vs. New Funding

Our organization is formulating proposal guidelines for supplemental
funding vs. a proposal for new work.  Our office receives proposals for
review that are submitted as supplemental funding requests by the PI but

could be considered new work based on the period of performance (more
than 1 year) or dollar amount (+ $100,000).

How does your organization determine the difference?  Is it period of
performance, dollar amount, statement of work or agency guidelines?

Patty