Re: Husband/wife research teams Julie Edgerton 19 Sep 2006 17:17 EST

Hi, Stanford's pretty strict on this: no married Faculty are supposed to
work in the same Division.

Julie

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Jennifer Shambrook
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 2:00 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Husband/wife research teams

I've run into this several times, and actually have three husband/wife teams
in my department now.  The agency doesn't mind, but everything does need to
be above board.  What needs to be in place is clear reporting lines that
shows that neither of them report to the other (or grade performance, or
give raises).  We place them (at least organizationally on paper) in
different divisions, even though their offices may be adjacent to one
another.  We also have a divorced couple that work in the same division,
but, again, neither reports to the other, and thankfully, it's a friendly
and collegial situation.

-Jennifer

Jennifer Morgan Shambrook, MHA

Associate Chair for Research Administration
Co-Director Division of Public Psychiatry
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
Medical University of South Carolina
67 President Street, Suite 405B
Charleston, South Carolina  29425

voice:  843-792-0191
fax:  843-792-6889
email:  xxxxxx@musc.edu

>>> xxxxxx@UNCP.EDU 09/19/06 04:46PM >>>
We are currently working with a husband and wife research team (new faculty)
on a proposal, and the question was asked of us whether or not sponsor
agencies have a negative reaction to this situation when it comes to funding
decisions.  I have never encountered this before.  If you have had this
situation, how has it been handled?  What other issues related to this have
you had to work through?

Deborah Lundin, Ed.D.

Research and Training Coordinator/Assistant Director

Center for Sponsored Research and Programs

University of North Carolina at Pembroke

P.O. Box 1510, 901 Dogwood Lane

Pembroke, NC 28372-1510

Phone:  910.522.5781

Fax:      910.521.6164