Re: Request for Information Fortini, Mary-Ellen 13 Sep 2006 11:56 EST

While we haven't dealt with this specific problem, in requiring
signatures from the Dean and Provost there is a level at which a
proposal can be stopped.  We use the criteria of how it aligns with the
College's mission (and the department's if appropriate) as well as how
our students would benefit from it.  What you describe would probably
not make it to the submission level here since either the Dean or
Provost could have made a decision not to clear it for submission.

Mary-Ellen Fortini, PhD
Office of Sponsored Projects and Research
Keene State College
229 Main Street
Keene, NH 03435-3510
603-358-2427
fax 603-358-2184
xxxxxx@keene.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Beryline Temples
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:01 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Request for Information

We would like to learn how other state-funded institutions have
handled a grant proposal submitted by a faculty member, which
would be submitted to an organization that funds, what the
scientific community considers pseudoscience.  We are concerned
about the line between a faculty member's academic freedom to
pursue a line of inquiry and the institution's desire to build and
maintain programs that are viewed as reputable.

If you have dealt with this issue and prefer to contact me off-
list, my e-mail is:
xxxxxx@uca.edu

Charlotte Cone
Assistant Provost