Re: Royalties and Institutional Conflict of Interest? Dana Bostrom 11 Sep 2006 15:18 EST

I suspect the original grant does require the grant of a non-exclusive
royalty free license to the government, for the government to use the IP for
any government purpose.

In practice, although the government receives such licenses all the time,
they rarely exercise them.  Many times the government simply purchases the
goods from the company(ies) licensed to create/produce them.  Part of the
goals of government grants, of course, is to create new ideas which can turn
into new products -- and thus create new companies, new jobs, etc.

You might check the license.  License agreements I implemented would often
include some sort of price break to the licensor (institution).  But lacking
a clause like this, or the government's choice to work with the federal
agency who holds the license to get it appropriately implemented (much
work), I suspect the issue is more about purchasing -- can a sole source
purchase be justified?  Is this price the going rate, etc.

My thoughts --

Dana

Dana Bostrom, Associate Director
Industry Alliances Office, IPIRA