Re: Deobligations on NIH Cooperative Agreements Thea Arocho 07 Sep 2006 08:17 EST

Our experience is they are NOT required to revise the NGA - and that they
believe making the reduction on PMS is sufficient. Much to our surprise, a
change in institution which was awarded to us on a NGA, was amended due to
a revised final FSR being submitted by the original institution. This
caused the obligation to us to be reduced. The only communication we
received was the reduction on PMS and when we were made aware of it (almost
two years later) we inquired and were told why it was reduced and that we
should have been monitoring PMS more closely. This was a painful way for us
to learn that the NGA is not revised under such a scenario.

It might also be worth noting that our financial post award operation is
managed by a separate division (Finance) so we don't have access to PMS -
and therefore were not aware of the reduction until someone in that
operation noticed it and asked us about it.

--On Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:03 PM -0400 "Doyle-Wandell, Greg"
<xxxxxx@VENTERINSTITUTE.ORG> wrote:

> Is NIH required to prepare a revised Notice of Grant Award when they
> deobligate (or reduce) authorized funds on cooperative agreement?  My
> understanding is that they are required to, but I wanted to double check.
> I have two instances where authorized funds were reduced, but no notice
> of grant award was issued.
>
> Greg

Thea R. Arocho, CRA
Senior Grants and Contracts Manager
Ohio University
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
105 RTEC
Athens, Ohio 45701
(740) 593-2856 (Tel)
(740) 593-0379 (Fax)