Re: Monitoring Grant-Funded Programs Maggie Griscavage 23 Aug 2006 13:04 EST
Diane,
With limited staff, and a growing research base, I'd use two primary
areas as indicators of attainment of scope objectives:
1) Watch the bottom line - are there spikes or lulls in spending? Trust
your instincts and if something catches your eye, then ask questions.
2) Have your office staff get notification of submission of interim
(whatever the timing) and final reports. A good indicator of attainment
is ability to meet those reporting deadlines. And, it doesn't hurt to
occasionally touch base with the COTR or program officer at the
sponsor's location and just ask if they're still happy campers!

Finally, try to meet with major centers' directors from time to time,
just to get a "feel" for how things are running in their back yards.
Ultimately, if you sign the documents, you're responsible for making
sure the university meets its goals - so keep the channels open and just
do the best you can. You'll know when you've reached your limitations,
and then it's time to go to upper management and get your resources
expanded.

Good luck!
Maggie