Re: 3rd tier subcontract costs Key, Diana 16 Aug 2006 09:27 EST

The 3rd tier sub would include d/c and i/c in their total cost budget.
The 2nd tier sub would include the 3rd tier's total cost budget in their
d/c.
The primary would include the 2nd tier sub's total cost budget in their
d/c.

Diana

Diana L. Key   :)
Assistant Director
Sponsored Research Services
Florida State University
98 South Woodward Avenue
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4166
P: 850-644-8648 F: 850-644-1464

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Sarah Gause
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:21 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] 3rd tier subcontract costs

I've been digging for a definite answer to a question, and thought I may
get an answer faster if I just check with the group...

My question is in regards to 3rd tier subcontracts, and where their
costs (direct and F&A) fall in the Primary institution's costs.

My Institution is submitting as a subcontract to the primary
institution.  In addition, we also have a subcontract.

Questions is: do the direct costs from our subcontract only count
towards the Primary Institution's direct cost limit, or must the Primary
consider the F&A as part of their direct?

Does NIH keeps these separate - I think all subcontracts, no matter the
tier, would be treated the same.  However, there are mixed opinions
regarding this issue among the Institutions.

Has anyone experienced this before, or can any reference a policy that
will help.

Thanks!

Sarah Gause
Grants Coordinator
Ctr for Research in Nutrition and Health Disparities
Arnold School of Public Health
University of South Carolina