Re: Letter of Intent to Subcontract Bain, Tammie 28 Jul 2006 16:07 EST

Hi Ruth,

I had responded to Eleanor directly.  In my experience here and at my
which I have received this request was to assist the Co-PI/department
administrator at the other institution to obtain pre-award spending
(account number) from his/her financial group.  For me, there has been
no instance when the other institution felt that they would not
[eventually] receive an extension, it was merely to facilitate
administrative requirements.

In a nutshell, my response to Eleanor:

 I have done this but have made certain to state that a
continuation of the grant is *anticipated* then make everything
contingent upon receipt.

 I typically state something to the effect:

 This letter is to confirm that the University of Oregon
anticipates an extension [continuation, supplement, whatever the case
may be] by the US
 Department of Education of the grant XXX (CFDA XXX) entitled
"XXX."  In the event such extension is received, and provided there has
been no
 reduction in the budget awarded, The University of Oregon plans
to extend its Subaward Agreement with ____ through Project Year 4.  It
should
 be noted, however, that this letter does not guarantee funding
for this project.

 Then I follow this with the planned project amount, new project
period and other administrative matters and nicer statements about how
we value our relationship 	with that party (which we do) and invite
them to contact me with any concerns.

So far, it seems to assuage whatever concerns our subcontractors have in
those instances when there is a larger than expected gap between the end
of one project period and the next Notice of Grant Award.

Hope this helps,

Tammie

Tammie L. Bain
Associate Director, Proposal Management
Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-5219
Telephone: 541-346-2508
Facsimile:  541-346-5138