Re: Max xfd (PureEdge) File sizes? Nguyen, Michael M 11 Jul 2006 14:28 EST

This looks great Bob.  Do you have an aproximation how much effort and
time went into this server drop box?

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Beattie
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:27 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Max xfd (PureEdge) File sizes?

We were worried about the size of files being sent via email too.
Not so much the problem of just one file as we can have in theory up to
100mb transmitted.  We were worried about getting 50 such files in our
mail server.  Thus our grants office IT staff created a server
"drop box" which allows PI's and their staff to upload their file.
See here for a discussion of how this works.

http://www.research.umich.edu/era/grantsgov/dx_howto.html

Once the file is uploaded, 4 staff members get a message that it is
there.  When one of them opens the file, the other 3 and the uploader
get a message that this has been done.  Uploading requires use of our
campus secure log in.

Bob
------------------------------
Robert Beattie
UMich Grants.gov Liaison
xxxxxx@umich.edu   (734) 936-1283
Learn more about Grants.gov @ UMICH
http://www.research.umich.edu/era/grants_gov/

On Jul 10, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Nguyen, Michael M wrote:

Has anyone done any extensive testing on how large the PureEdge files
are going to be come February 07?  We are currently having PIs e-mail
the file to our Grant and Contract Office, but I'm afraid we will need a
better solution when the files become larger.  Any feedback would be
great.

Many thanks!

Mike

Michael Nguyen