Re: Students as IRB members Hahn, Janet M 10 Jul 2006 08:34 EST

Since students are the subjects in a majority of the protocols reviewed
and because Radford University involves students in most university-wide
committees, including the most prestigious ones, we have a graduate and
an undergraduate on the IRB and one student (either grad or undergrad)
on the IACUC.  Note that because students tend to disappear in the
summer, their terms end May 1 of each year or we'd have more than the
usual quorum issues.

Janet

Janet M. Hahn, CRA
Executive Director
Sponsored Programs & Grants Management
Radford University
Radford, VA  24142-6926

tel:  540-831-5479
fax:  540-831-6636
xxxxxx@radford.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Val Kettner
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 12:07 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Students as IRB members

Dear colleagues - I'm curious if any of you have added students to
your IRB committee's?  This is a topic we are currently discussing,
and I would love to hear feedback from those institutions that have
either successfully done this or have discussed but elected not
too.  What are the pro's?  What are the con's?  Do the benefits
outweigh any potential risks?

If you would like to reply off-line, send a message to
xxxxxx@ndsu.edu.

I will post a summary of answers received.

Many thanks!

Val Kettner
Assistant Vice President
Sponsored Programs Administration