Re: Time limit on publications Baumann, John 07 Jul 2006 17:30 EST

Can't answer the question regarding appropriate time frame as we would
never agree to a contract that requires approval of publications or
presentations.  Prior review, yes, approval no.  I would recommend that
you try to negotiate the approval clause.

Is there may be some specific clause in the agreement between Defense
and the private company requiring this approval for publications?
Without such evidence, we would not agree to such terms.  Can't say we
would with such evidence, I might add.

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Research
Director, Office of Research Services
5100 Rockhill Road  (US Postal Service)
5211 Rockhill Road (Courier Service)
Kansas City, MO 64110
xxxxxx@umkc.edu
816.235.1303 (v)
816.235.6532 (f)

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Robyn B. Remotigue
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 4:30 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Time limit on publications

I am in the process of negotiating a contract with a private company,
and the money is flowdown from the Army.  They are requesting prior
approval of publications and the contract states that they will provide
a response with 5 business days.

In general the clause is open-ended and provides no expiration date.  At
some point, there should be no limitations on the publications from the
work done on this project.  The company has asked that I provide them
with time frame.

Any one ever encounter this before * any ideas on what is  reasonable?
Thanks in advance.

Robyn B. Remotigue, CRA
Administrator
Office of Sponsored Programs