Re: consulting fees Barbara Gray 05 Jul 2006 16:55 EST

Matthew,
I would request a subcontract and waive the indirect. Yes, your
institution picks up some administrative cost, but this is good will
with a new faculty member and also increases your institution's G&C
dollars. This is akin to the rule I've always had when a new faculty
member transfers a grant. If the IDC rate at the old institution is
lower, I always accept that, as I think it would not be fair to the PI
to ask that the difference be made up from direct cost dollars.
Barbara

Matthew Katz wrote:

> We have a new faculty member joining our university in August who is
> currently on an NIH grant as a consultant. The project just started
> and she hasn’t received any payments yet. Since she is transferring to
> our institution, she would prefer that our University receive the
> payments, instead of her, so that she could have an account set up
> here for her research use and hopefully not have to incur a tax
> consequence in light of her working as a consultant.
>
> My question: what if anything can be done? If we ask the primary grant
> recipient to repost the consulting contract as a subcontract, she
> faces paying our indirect cost rate. Which could diminish the amount
> available for research considerably. I know she can’t donate the money
> and then have use of it as that is against the law in terms of
> charitable giving. Can she have the primary site make the checks out
> to our University?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt
>
> Matthew D. Katz, MHA
>
> Assistant Vice President,
>
> Sponsored Research and Contract Management
>
> Western University of Health Sciences
>
> 309 E. 2nd Street
>
> Pomona, CA 91766
>
> (909) 469-5567