Re: One PI with PI status on collaborative proposal Vincelli, Diana 30 Jun 2006 08:08 EST

This arrangement sounds like she is collaborating with herself!  That is
bound to raise some questions among reviewers. I believe there needs to
be a valid PI at the other institution (a collaborator, thus the NSF
Collaboration application), and she should be paid through her home
institution.

Diana Thompson Vincelli
Director of Grant Support
Office of Foundation, Corporate & Government Relations
G-14 Maryland Hall
University of Richmond, VA  23173
804.289.8005; fax 804.289-8943
xxxxxx@richmond.edu
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/grants

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Donna Berger
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:43 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] One PI with PI status on collaborative proposal

Dear REASAMers,

I need to deal with an issue in the morning and need your input on two
issues:

1) We have a PI doing a collaborative NSF proposal. She wants to name
herself as PI for both the lead organization and the non-lead
collaborating
institution where she will be spending a portion of her time on this
research project. Would your university allow her to be named as PI for
both organizations?

2) This PI is a faculty member at the lead institution (our college),
but
since she will do a substantial part of her research at the
collaborating
institution, she wants to budget for her time and effort on the non-lead
institution's budget and be paid by them, rather than budget her time on
our budget and be paid by us. In other words, she wants to have the
non-lead institution recoup her salary money on the rate of pay that
they
would assign to her and pay her directly with NSF funds, rather be paid
through us, her primary place of employment. Would any of your
institutions
entertain such an arrangement?

Any input you could give me would be much appreciated. As an aside, from
her dean's perspective, this is extra summer work and she would approve
it
as a summer work assignment. I see all kinds of issues that would argue
against such an arrangement on a federal proposal, but there are
conflicting views on this. I really would like to see this proposal
happen,
but not at the risk of putting the institution in a precarious position.
Thank you for any input you can give.

Sincerely,
Donna Berger