Re: Intro to revised R21 Maryellen O'Brien 28 Jun 2006 11:40 EST

We've got applications rejected by NIH for both the R21 and R03 because
of the 1 page limit on Introductions.  It is true that the application
kit and instructions state a 3 page limit, but the NIH system is only
accepting one page.  The Help desk told our PI 1 page and it was finally
accepted, in both our submissions, when we reduced the Introduction to
one page.

Maryellen O'Brien
Assistant Director
Office of Research and
 Sponsored Programs
Rutgers, The State University
ASB III, 3 Rutgers Plaza
New Brunswick, NJ  08901

Voice:  732-932-0150 x2111
Fax:     732-932-0162
email:  xxxxxx@orsp.rutgers.edu
web:   http://orsp.rutgers.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Regeane Villarson
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:33 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Intro to revised R21

Another issue for the revised R21:

We just submitted a revised R21 and it bounced back with an error
stating that the introduction can not be more than 1 PAGE. This is
incorrect. As far as I know, the PI still has 3 pages for their intro.
The SF 424 R&R Application Guide also confirms the three page limit
(page I-18). I sent an e-mail to the help desk regarding this issue. Has
any one else received this error?

Best,

Regeane Villarson, MBA
Assistant Manager
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
New Jersey Medical School
973-972-8649
972-972-3585 (fax)

>>> xxxxxx@LHS.ORG 06/28/06 12:03 PM >>>
We have an investigator resubmitting an R21 for July 1 who has raised
an
interesting question regarding the Introduction in the SF424RR.  She
and
others in the past have typically referenced page numbers in the
Research
Plan to note some changes or revisions.  Since page numbers are now
not
allowed, any suggestions as to how to handle this?

Thanks in advance.  The collective talent and wisdom on this LISTSERV
is
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Hunter
Legacy Research
Portland, Oregon

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This communication, including any attachment,
contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended
solely
for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not
the
intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the
message.
Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message
is
strictly prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment,
is
intended to be a legally binding signature.