Re: Faculty teaching buy-out question Diane Schmitz 27 Jun 2006 11:55 EST

>Greetings all - I am wondering how your university handles faculty teaching
>buy-out from grants.

Hi Dave --

At EWU, a regional comprehensive university, we try to encourage
grant-funded research, curriculum development, and outreach by
standardizing they way we calculate faculty buy-out and by returning a
portion of recovered indirect costs to the college, department, and
faculty member funded by the grant.

For academic year buy-out, we request grant funding based on the
individual faculty member's FTE on the grant and his or her base salary
-- NOT on the cost of replacement salary for adjuncts (there are
exceptions). For example, if Dr. Smith's base salary is $50,000 for the
academic year, and she intends to be released from three four-credit
courses of her 36-credit annual course load (quarter system), we would
calculate the grant request like this: $50,000 x (12/36) = $16,667.
There are always variables. Some colleges have a 36-credit/year teaching
load (like those with primaily lecture courses), and others have
30-credit/year loads. We base our calculations on the college or
department standard.

You can find more detail on our website under the FAQ link
(http://www.ewu.edu/grants).

Best,

Diane M. Schmitz
Assistant Director, Pre-Award Administration
Office of Grant & Research Development
Eastern Washington University
(509) 359-2517