Re: Faculty teaching buy-out question Hahn, Janet M 27 Jun 2006 11:39 EST

We also have a typical load of 12 credits/per semester although there is
variation.

First, adjunct pay is not relevant to the question.  Grants are
purchasing time of a specific individual and it is the salary of that
individual that is the issue. If a university chooses to charge less,
the difference is cost-sharing.

We have opted not to standardize.  When a faculty member will work on a
grant and be reassigned from one of 4 courses, that might be calculated
as 12.5% (25% of one semester); however, in many cases, the individual
is not shedding any committee work or other duties, so that 10% or some
other amount might be more appropriate.

Good luck.  Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Janet

Janet M. Hahn, CRA
Executive Director
Sponsored Programs & Grants Management