Re: Fwd: RE: Re: [RESADM-L] Electronic Systems Dana Smith 23 Jun 2006 09:54 EST

Are providers/developers of systems allowed to tout products on this list? I
was under the impression this was a big taboo.  If not, I would also like to
begin posting to the list and showing folks in the community our offerings
when requests for information regarding various needs are posted (if
applicable to our product offering).

Dana Smith
IT Works, Inc.
Web:  www.itworks-inc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Barbara Howell
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 10:25 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Fwd: RE: Re: [RESADM-L] Electronic Systems

We are quite proud of the system we put together and are happy to extend it
to other universities.  To ensure you are successful in deploying the
system, we are offering an inclusive license package for ARGIS that entails
meeting with your key staff to identify your business policies, tailoring
ARGIS to meet those business policies, training your staff, and providing
technical support for the remaining portion of the first year.

ARGIS is designed to support the cradle to grave concept for Contracts and
Grants.  It provides for an online proposal submission form to be used by
the PI or other support personnel, which then handles routing the proposal
for review to the appropriate chairs and deans associated with the
investigators involved.  From there, the Proposal Administrators within the
Office of Research receive electronic notice that the proposal is reviewed
and ready for processing.  The proposal is then sent out to the agency (we
will soon have the interface to electronically submit to Grants.gov).  Upon
award, Contract and Grant Admins access ARGIS to enter award data, budget
info, etc.  From there ARGIS automatically electronically routes the award
data to our Finance and Accounting Office who use a PeopleSoft interface to
establish the needed account numbers for the project.  For PIs, ARGIS
provides them a direct login to view all of their proposals & awards,
documents, and a balance report for each of their accounts (by querying on
behalf of the PI the system that tracks account expenditures and
encumbrances).  There are numerous reports, search methods, etc.

In regards to the technical implementation, ARGIS currently runs under a
Windows Server environment with ColdFusion MX 7 and MS SQL Server as the
database backend.  We have implemented the use of FLASH in places we felt
aided in the display or function, used javascript, CSS, and XML, but for the
average user we have tried to keep their interface simple and therefore only
relied on the basic functions of a web browser - not requiring other plugins
(FLASH is the exception to this of course).
This enables our PIs and Office of Research staff to work from anywhere at
any time to access ARGIS.

If you would like additional information, we would be glad to send you a
brochure on ARGIS.  You may also be interested in visiting the ARGIS website
at http://www.argis.crata.ucf.edu or you're welcome to try out the demo site
we established as well at http://demo.argis.crata.ucf.edu  We can also
schedule a WebEx-type demonstration for you and your staff.

Andrea Adkins from our Technology Transfer Office (xxxxxx@mail.ucf.edu) can
send you our license agreement if you'd like.  As you'll see in the
agreement, it outlines optional services offered by UCF to ARGIS licensees
that includes technical support beyond the first year, legacy data
conversion, server maintenance, development of new functionality or modules,
etc., development of interface to an institution's financial systems (i.e.
PeopleSoft, etc.), and interface to other systems such as document
management, etc.  Since these costs are unique to your university's
environment, we can only provide estimates for these costs upon having a
better understanding of the full requirements.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me or Andrea Adkins
(Technology Transfer Office).

Thank you for your interest!

:)
-Tammie

Tammie McClellan
 Director
 Center for Research Administration Technologies & Applications
 University of Central Florida
 407-882-1388
 xxxxxx@crata.ucf.edu
 http://www.crata.ucf.edu

Barbara A. Howell, M.A.
Coordinator Research Office, Public Administration Instructor UCF College of
Health & Public Affairs
Phone: 407-823-3914 Fax: 407-823-4895 Cell: 407-595-3866

Dedicated to the development and administration of faculty research.