Re: S2S report on grants.gov Fultz, William 16 Jun 2006 07:52 EST

Mount Sinai Medical Center submitted 21 applications system-to-system
via InfoEd's PD module as well.  We contracted with InfoEd in December
for pretty much everything except Facilities and Colony Management.  We
kicked off Proposal Development and Tracking, Human Subjects Development
and Management, Lab Animals Development and Management and Environmental
Safety Development and Management in late January.  We kicked off
Clinical Trails in February.

We had the PD module up and began training investigators in early May.
Our Grants Office set an internal deadline a week before the NIH
deadline, which investigators met (for the most part). We ran help
sessions for them to load their proposals in the system leading up to
the due date.

Similar to Burnham Institute, everything posted pretty well with minor
warnings (generally about titles and degrees in Commons not matching
what the investigator put in their InfoEd profile.)  We did not have all
edits turned on in InfoEd so there were a couple of instances where the
investigator did not comply with submission rules.  In these cases
resubmission was easy. You learn pretty quickly what to review for on
the proposals and can ensure that they are in compliance before
submitting them.  In fact, I've never worked on research proposal
developments before May and could pretty accurately review submissions
for compliance with NIH rules after seeing only a few.

I don't have experience with Pure Edge, so I can't compare the two.
However, I do have a lot of experience implementing systems and found
this to be a fairly benign experience.  System issues were minor and
resolved quickly by InfoEd.  We've enhanced our training program based
on this submission, so I expect our 15-20 July 1 submissions to run even
smoother.

Beyond this, I see the S2S vs. Pure Edge issue to be more than just the
act of submitting proposals.  I believe that InfoEd will make it much
easier for our Institution to manage our proposal development and
submission process, since this is our system.  Reference data, such as
investigator profiles, sponsor profiles, subcontractor profiles, budget
profiles, etc., is managed by us and stored for reuse.

All information entered is reportable, and the reporting tool is
extremely easy to use.  For example, we were able to quickly create
reports on who was putting in proposals with subcontractors and
co-investigators so that we could ensure that they had all NIH required
data elements loaded in their profiles before submission.  In addition,
we will be able to generate management reports on proposals that were
submitted.

When viewed from a research program management perspective, it seems
better to use a system that provides more process management control and
reporting.

Bill Fultz

William Fultz
Senior Director of Information Technology
Office:  212-659-1522
Cell:     917-751-0496