Re: RESADM-L Digest - 12 Jun 2006 to 13 Jun 2006 (#2006-126) Johnson, Landy (Director of Grant Development) 14 Jun 2006 08:00 EST

Since the Board is appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture and was legislatively established, I would say it's a governmental body.  In effect, the industry is "taxed" to pay for the Board's activities.  It would probably be correct to call it "quasi-governmental."

Just my two cents; others may be better informed.  And, of course, there is no such thing as a "stupid question" on this list!  There's simply unevenly distributed information.

Landy

__________________________
Landy C. Johnson, MPA, Ph.D.
Director of Grant Development
Assumption College, Alumni Hall 024
500 Salisbury St.
Worcester, MA  01609-1296
(508)767-7666
xxxxxx@assumption.edu
http://www.assumption.edu/research

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:54:17 -0500
From:    Martha Taylor <xxxxxx@AUBURN.EDU>
Subject: stupid question

--=__Part80A547D9.0__=

what kind of entity is a "board" created by federal statute and funded
by producer's fees?  Is it public, private, governmental or what?  I am
looking at the American Egg Board but there is one for all the commodity
groups.  Cotton Inc is the only one I know of that is different but then
I don't get out much.

7 cfr chapter 11 section 1250

As you might guess I am trying to retain IP rights.  Bayhe Dole doesn't
apply because it isn't federal funding and the tax reform act of 1986
may not apply if the organization isn't considered "private use" and
institutional policy doesn't speak to section 1250.542.  BTW - section
1250.542 came about in 1976 so Bayhe Dole and the 86 tax act came
afterwards (if that makes any diff)

anyway, I was asked to ask you all and see what you say.