Re: base salary question for faculty working at two different institutions Bonnie Kwit 07 Jun 2006 09:49 EST

If you're submitting a proposal on behalf of YOUR University then you can
only request a portion of the University base.  It would have  nothing to do
with the Research Institute.  And visa versa..If the Research Institute were
submitting a proposal for her it would be her base of that payroll system.

Bonnie Kwit
Grants & Contracts Officer
Oakland University
544 O'Dowd Hall
(248) 370-4116

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Donna Berger
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:06 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] base salary question for faculty working at two
different institutions

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping you can give me some advice. We have a faculty member who claims
she has a statement from our administration that her time and effort is
distributed as follows: 60% at our college and 40% at a research institute.
She explained that of the 60% effort she works here, 48% is her regular
faculty obligations for which she is paid $60,000 and 12% is for research
activity for which she has been receiving $15,000 for the last few years.
The other 40% of her time is paid by the research institute for which she
is paid $36,669.  Thus, she says her base salary is a total of the three
figures ($111,669) because it represents 100% of the time and effort for
which she receives salary.  She is bringing me the written agreement
because she wants us to use the $111,669 as her base salary in her grant
proposals. I have not received the documentation yet, but wanted your
input.  I thought that if we annualized her salary we would use the salary
figures that the college pays her and release her from obligations here.
This of course would actually increase the base that she has calculated.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way, she is on a 9-month
contract here and I am not sure if her contract is 9 or 12 months at the
other institution. Thanks.

Donna Berger, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Academic Grants
Marist College