Re: Creating an IRB Barbara Gray 06 Jun 2006 17:19 EST

I think it's important to take an educational, assistive approach,
particularly when the concept--and requirement--is new to
faculty...which means helping researchers understand and do the right
thing rather than hauling out the whip for infractions.    The faculty
serving on the IRB need to be strong leaders so that the effort is seen
as a peer activity.  IRB members and staff might also offer to serve as
guest presenters in various classes around campus to talk about research
ethics and human protections in research.   Students aren't the only
ones who learn in this environment!!

Wayne Glass wrote:

> Hello all,
> We are in the early process of developing guidelines and process for
> an IRB for the college. A small group of interested faculty and
> administrators have met to discuss steps to accomplish this. We are
> very concerned about getting support from our faculty - that the IRB
> not be perceived as another bureaucratic impediment.
>
> I was wondering if there were any schools (especially community
> colleges) that had recently gone through the process of forming an
> IRB. I'd like to get some warning of what might be in store for us!
>
> Thank you!
>

> Wayne Glass
> Director of Grants
> Schoolcraft College