Re: Human subjects e-applications to NIH Anna Dore 02 Jun 2006 08:19 EST

That's interesting!  Do you know where I can find that policy?

The proposal in question does indeed fall into category 4.  The NIH G.g
application guide says nothing about this, though it does specify that
human subjects research in category 4 is not "clinical research" and so
it doesn't require the information about inclusion of women, minorities,
children, etc.

Using the exemption application makes perfect sense - thanks for the
idea.
Anna

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Elsa Nadler
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:25 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Human subjects e-applications to NIH

You need to be careful about what you call human subjects research. I
found out only recently that NIH no longer considers research with
publicly available datasets--what used to be category 4--to be research
with human subjects. I think this also includes deidentified data, but I
can't find the file I was looking for. So...if you are using that kind
of data, you would answer "no" to the question about human subjects.
Other exempt research has an exemption approval attached to it (and we
get a letter from an administrator), so I use that date if the research
has been through some kind of administrative process and has been
approved for exemption; otherwise approval is pending.
 Elsa

>>> Anna Dore <xxxxxx@BC.EDU> 06/01/06 3:45 PM >>>
I have a related question:

When a project is exempt from IRB review, how do you answer the question
"Is IRB review pending?"

When I answer "No,"  the IRB approval date becomes a required field.
tried entering "N/A," but was told that it was an "invalid entry" -
seems it will only accept a date.  Ultimately, I answered "Yes" as that
seemed my only option.

The helpdesk hasn't responded adequately to my inquiry and the G.g
application guide instructions don't address this either.  Has anyone
else encountered this dilemma?  How have you handled it?

Thanks so much for your replies, and all the information posted here
daily.  I've learned so much by just watching!

Anna Dore
Boston College