Re: foreign subs Maryellen O'Brien 31 May 2006 13:09 EST

The other way to tackle the foreign sub issue is to try and make is a
fixed price rather than cost reimbursement agreement.  Sometimes it
works, sometimes not.

I've found that a lot depends on who the subgrantee is, where they are,
and how savvy and cooperative your PI is.  I have too many foreign
collaborators, most in developing countries.  I have one PI with several
in Africa and it's always a problem...been that way for years and
probably will be that way for years to come.  Then I have another with
several partners in the **-stans and they've run like clockwork.  Both
situations are largely attributable to the cooperation, oversight and
management, or lack therof by our PI.

Maryellen O'Brien
Assistant Director
Office of Research and