Re: Providing credit for project accounts Thea Arocho 19 May 2006 12:15 EST

Ohio University does have a pre-award authorization form which allows
faculty to have accounts established based upon communication that an award
is coming. An alternate account needs to be provided as a guarantee to
which any expenditures will be charged should the grant or contract not be
funded. These accounts and available balances are verified by the sponsored
programs office - and signature of the account owner is required.

See form at the following url:

<http://www.ohiou.edu/orsp/budget/guarantee_memo.pdf>

Best,
Thea Arocho

--On Friday, May 19, 2006 8:40 AM -0700 Rochelle Athey
<xxxxxx@UNLV.EDU> wrote:

> My Senior  Associate Vice President for Research has asked me to find out
> how other educational institutions manage the set up and monitoring of
> credit or risk accounts.
>
> A credit account would be an account set up to incur expenditures prior
> to receipt of an award.  Additionally, credit could be extended for
> continuations prior to receipt of the next year of funding.
>
> 1. Does your institution offer credit accounts for new awards or
> continuations prior to receipt of the award or continuation?
>
> 2.  If your institution does offer credit, do you have a written policy?
>

> 3.  If so, is it available for public viewing?  URL?
>
> 4.  Does your institution encumber the credit amount against any internal
> accounts?
>
> 5.  If you do not encumber, how do you handle unreimbursed costs?
>
> 6.  If your institution does encumber the credit amount, do you have a
> policy regarding which accounts may be encumbered?
>
> 7.  If you encumber, do you encumber PI accounts, department accounts or
> college accounts prior to encumbering VP for Research or Sponsored
> Programs accounts?
>
> 8.  How do you manage disencumbrance of internal accounts when an award
> is received?
>

> Thank you all very much for your advice and guidance!
>

> Rochelle R. Athey
> Executive Director
> Office of Sponsored Programs
> University of Nevada Las Vegas
> 702-895-1357 office
> 702-895-0986 fax

Thea R. Arocho, CRA
Senior Grants and Contracts Manager
Ohio University
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
105 RTEC
Athens, Ohio 45701
(740) 593-2856 (Tel)
(740) 593-0379 (Fax)