Re: Calling all small research institutions Ware, Jeanne 19 May 2006 09:44 EST

Matthew,
Nothing is more dear to PUI (predominately undergraduate institutions) then to be able to say "... you think YOU have it bad!"
After reading some of the responses, I'll throw another few things on the heap.
Not only do I do pre-award (finding and distributing funding opportunities, proposal review and budget assistance), proposal submission, post-award (award acceptance, monitoring) and close-out (more monitoring and analysis), but I am also the IRB administrator (present to students and faculty on what is required, accept application, review exempt applications for the board, etc) and the institutional contact for national level scholarship and fellowship applicants (let's say a student want to apply for Rhodes, I help them through that process).  Did you know most places have a full office of fellowships just for that!?
The only thing I do not do is the fiscal administration (draw downs from ASAP or others, invoicing, requisitions on grants -- we have office managers in each division who handle that after I have trained them on what to look for, etc).
We only have about $500K in awards, but for a public liberal arts college (honors) of only 700 undergraduates and 70 full time faculty, as a one person office (I don't even have an admin asst), I would say I'm keeping busy....
Sincerely,
Jeanne Ware
Director
Office of Research Programs and Services
www.ncf.edu/orps/

________________________________

From: Research Administration List on behalf of Matthew Katz
Sent: Thu 5/18/2006 8:05 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Calling all small research institutions

I am trying to negotiate additional staffing for our office and I need some information from other small Universities and institutions with limited research endeavors.  For those organizations that handle anywhere from 5 million or less in active research, including federal and privately funded awards, can you tell me the number of staff in your Grants Office, how much in research funds you have and what are the specific responsibilities of your offices?

Is your office responsible for Pre-award and post-award?  If you only handle Pre-award, who does the post-award and how big is that office? Who is primarily responsible for the grant accounting and how big is that office?

Please include secretarial/administrative assistant staff in the staffing numbers.

Thank you.

Matthew D. Katz, MHA

Assistant Vice President,

Sponsored Research and Contract Management

Western University of Health Sciences

309 E. 2nd Street

Pomona, CA 91766

(909) 469-5567

(909) 469-5569 FAX

www.westernu.edu

====================================================================== Instructions on how to use the RESADM-L Mailing List, including subscription information and a web-searchable archive, are available via our web site at http://www.hrinet.org (click on "Listserv Lists") ======================================================================