Re: Rumor about NIH Rankings Cindy Weinbrecht 11 May 2006 14:30 EST

I was reading the frequently asked questions regarding multiple PIs this
week and came across the following statement:

I.	Departmental Ranking Tables

If departmental ranking tables are eliminated, what other tools will
the NIH make available to allow institutions to determine their relative
ranking?

With multiple PIs from different departments, it will be difficult to
continue to rank medical school departments by the amount of NIH funding
they receive.  Through the published Request for Information , NIH posed
specific questions to determine whether the Departmental Ranking Tables
are useful to the scientific community.  The most common comment was
that the Tables are not easy to use for interdepartmental comparisons.
It was suggested that it would be better for the NIH to replace the
existing table format with enhanced data systems to allow for more
powerful and meaningful comparisons across departments.  The NIH is
still considering options, and additional comments are welcome from the
scientific community

Cindy Weinbrecht
CRD, Research Programs/Services
College of Medicine
Research Administration and Compliance
(352) 273-5398
Fax (352) 273-5387
http://www.med.ufl.edu/research

>>> xxxxxx@IUPUI.EDU 05/11/06 02:48PM >>>
I've heard the same rumor and am concerned as we have corrections to
make to the department assignments for our FFY 2005 award data (still
lacking contracts at this point).  The NIH rankings represent one of a
series of benchmarks we use to measure department activity.

Does anyone know if this suggestion is a consequence of the effort to
recognize multiple PI's?

Robert Aull
Fiscal Compliance Manager
(Sponsored Programs)