Re: Rumor about NIH Rankings Carlson, Claire 11 May 2006 14:18 EST

According to the latest NCURA newsletter (April/May 2006), NIH "intends
to do away with its annual tables that rank institutions, schools and
departments according to the dollar value of NIH awards received.  Dr.
Ruiz Bravo (Deputy Director for Extramural Research at NIH) assures the
grant community that discontinuing the tables will be done 'in a
measured way', and that NIH will still make the data available for local
analysis."

Claire

Claire L. Carlson
Associate Vice President for Research
The University of Montana
Research and Sponsored Programs
University Hall 202
MIssoula, Montana  59812-4104
Phone (406) 243-5796
Fax (406) 243-5739
NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:  xxxxxx@umontana.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Aull, Robert M
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:49 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Rumor about NIH Rankings

I've heard the same rumor and am concerned as we have corrections to
make to the department assignments for our FFY 2005 award data (still
lacking contracts at this point).  The NIH rankings represent one of a
series of benchmarks we use to measure department activity.

Does anyone know if this suggestion is a consequence of the effort to
recognize multiple PI's?

Robert Aull
Fiscal Compliance Manager
(Sponsored Programs)